November 7, 2008

A step forward, a step back

With all the excitement over Barak Obama being our next President of these United States, one major newsworthy election result that has been somewhat glossed over is the passage of measures in 4 states that dealt a major blow to the civil rights of the LGBT community. Three states-- Arizona, California and Florida-- passed constitutional amendments banning gay marriage. Arizonans passed Proposition 102 on Tuesday, further amending the state's constitution to define marriage expressly as "a union between one man and one woman." In Florida, 62% of voters cast their ballots in favor of Amendment 2, which also limits the legal definition of marriage to the union between "one man and one woman as husband and wife." And less than six months after the California State Supreme Court declared in a 4-3 decision that a 2000 gay marriage ban was unconstitutional, the state's voters passed Proposition 8, which will overturn the Court's decision. In addition, Arkansas voters passed a measure that would prohibit unmarried, cohabitating couples from adopting. Ouch.

It saddens me that while we've taken a major step forward in the realm of civil rights by electing the first African-American president, we've taken a step back with the passage of these measures, which I foresee spreading throughout the country as other states follow the precedent of these initial four. And yes, I will state it unequivocally..... I support gay marriage and adoption rights. Period. If two people want to love and commit to each other, I say kudos to them. If a couple wants to love and raise a child that might otherwise end up in the questionable foster care system, I'm all for it. My son grew up with a boy whose parents are a lesbian couple, and I ALWAYS saw the both of them at every one of his events, while I'd look over and see the mom sitting there solo because her husband was too drunk to get up and come to the games. You can't tell me that the latter situation is the better situation for a child to grow up in just by virtue of the fact that the couple consisted of a man and a woman. C'mon now, people.

There is nothing about gay marriage or adoption that wears at my moral fiber or does anything to compromise the sanctity of my relationships (or lack thereof), I know that same sex couples are just as capable of raising healthy, loved and well adjusted kids as any other couple (family dysfunction is equal opportunity)..... bottom line, it's just all about love, and I say the more love in this world, the better.

3 comments:

Jaded said...

Oh Gosh. Don't get me started on this topic. My sex, gender and law class has turned me into a freakin activist this semester.

I was so disappointed.

Brooke said...

Thank you for this blog entry! I have been so frustrated with life lately because it feels like all the straight people have shoved their fingers in their ears, singing "la la la - I can't hear you," whenever someone starts talking about the need for gay marriage. I have taken a more active role lately, talking to anyone who will listen about why these constitutional amendments are discrimination. Today I just feel like nobody gives a f*** and wanted to give it up. Your blog just fired me up again.

Dana said...

individual desires can not be put in front of society and its need to maintain moral order. There is no such thing as a gay marriage. You mentioned a drunk in your post. The US was once a dry country, since alcohol has been reintroduced alcohol related illness (all orders of illness - physical, psychological, psychosocial) and death have created an unwanted and undue strain upon society.

People's affairs are private.

What is even more disgusting about this whole issue is how people have made this an issue - above the greater issues of the human experience. We are experiencing a lack of natural resources: food and water.

Post a Comment

 

Adventures in Divorce Copyright © 2014 -- Powered by Blogger